Thursday, April 5, 2012

Austin's Birth Story - Part 1

 2 weeks later but here it is.

   Thursday the 22nd we were all set to be induced at 7:30am. Finally time to meet our little bundle and find out who baby was!! I woke up at 2:30 that morning with some crazy contractions. I came out into the living room and started timing them. they were 5-7 minutes apart and boy did they hurt BAD! I kept timing them until about 4:30, I called the hospital to see if I should come in or keep holding out until 7:30. The nurse suggested taking a shower and to try to eat something and see how that works out. About an hour later the hospital calls and asks how things are going and if I could come in at 9:30 instead of 7:30. Umm NO! Conrad's dad came over about 6:45 and Conrad goes over some of the stuff for the girls while I waddle around in pain getting all my stuff together and get ready.

Off to the hospital we go. Contractions were pretty close together. It was looking great! We get into labor and delivery and I had a stop in my tracks contractions and a nurse that was walking by went and got me a wheel chair and I was wheeled away to my room. I got my gown own and the nurse checked me right away and I was already 4cm dilated. I was so happy not to be a one!! I got hooked up  to the IV, they took blood and hooked up to the machine to monitor contractions and the baby's heart rate. By 10 o'clock I had my epidural and was 5 cm dilated. Half way there! Things were looking good and the nurse said she thought it would be around noon by the time we got to meet the little one. After my epidural, which worked wonderfully, my contractions slowed down quite a bit. Dr W came in around 11:30 and broke my water and started Pitocin to help move things along. There was meconium in the water so the baby would be looked at by the respiratory therapists before bring baby over. This happen with Aubrey so we kinda knew what to expect. She told the nurse to call her when I was close and no practice pushing because she thought that when things started it was going to go quickly. I was checked again about an hour later and I was 7 cm and my contractions were picking up. It was about 2 and my nurse had to take her lunch but didn't want to leave me with a new nurse if I was going to deliver so I was checked and I was 8 1/2. She told me to hang on for about a 1/2 hour until her lunch was over, as if I had a choice. 

Around 3 she came in and asked how I was doing. I told her I was feeling pressure but no real urge to push. I was checked at I was ready and so was baby. It was finally time to meet our little one. The DR was called, they broke the bed down and got everything set up. It took about half hour to push the little one out. The baby had the cord wrapped tightly around his neck and part of the cord was on his head, so the DR cut and clamped the cord and told Conrad that he would be able to cut it shorter in a bit. A few more pushes and Dr W said "It's a BOY!" Best thing ever. Then things took a turn.

This part is the part that I don't really remember, which kills me not knowing.

I felt like I was going to vomit. I said to whoever would listen that I was going to be sick. It took what felt like forever for someone to bring me something to get sick into. As I was getting sick I realized that I hadn't heard Austin cry. Conrad assured me that he was doing good. A few seconds later I felt like I was going to be sick again. They handed another bag and I threw up again. Then I got a pain in my chest, pain in my back, had trouble breathing and a horrible headache. At some point they brought Austin over to me. I vaguely remember this. I know I was asking a lot about him. I partially remember only because Kathy took a picture of our first meeting. Someone told me that he weighed a whooping 9 pounds 3 ounces and was 20 1/4 inches long. What a chunk he was!!

 They put an oxygen mask on me and I couldn't handle it. I felt like it was suffocating me instead of helping. I couldn't catch my breath and relax. They tried to put the nasal cannula on and that was just worse! I couldn't think straight because of my massive headache or the pain in my chest. They had taken Austin out of the room to make room for a whole team of people that were trying to figure out what was wrong. I heard someone say that my blood pressure was really high, 170 something. They brought an EKG machine in and had me hooked up to all these wires. It was taking a really long time for them to do this test. One of the little electrodes kept coming loose or wasn't reading properly. I kept asking Conrad how Austin was, and asking why nobody was giving me anything for my pain. I remember shivering but I know I had a fever. I couldn't kept my eyes open.  Dr S , the hospitalist, came in and was asking me questions and trying to get me to open my eyes and follow his finger. It hurt my head too bad. I guess they finally had finished my EKG and then it was time to go upstairs and have a CT of my chest and head. I remember being taken up there in my bed and them moving me onto the board to get the scan done. Lying in that tube my mind was racing to all the possible things that could be wrong... thanks Grey Anatomy and House!! I know through all of this I was talking and asking questions. One of them being that I was hungry and why didn't they give me anything for pain. Apparently they did give me some morphine. After all of that I was wheeled to the ICU.

I think I got to the ICU around 7-8 ish. I have no idea though. I am pretty sure I was there for a bit before I started to feel like I could open my eyes, but I was awake. My poor husband, the look that was on his face. I felt awful for everything that he had gone through. My mom and mother in law too. I was hot and still had a fever but was doing better. I was breathing room air and didn't need the oxygen. They put these things on my legs that felt like it massaged them, to prevent any clotting. I was so hungry and thirsty. My mom and Conrad kept getting a rag damp and putting on my head, as gross as it is I was so tempted to drink that nasty water. Don't worry I didn't. I don't know who mentioned or thought of it but 2 nurses from L&D were able to bring Austin up to me to see him and hold. That was the best half hour of my life! Finally holding my son!! Conrad was able to go down and feed him so formula. I couldn't nurse for 24 hours because I had some dye for the CT scan? They brought a pump up and around midnight I tried pumping. Nothing really came out but Adrienne, my super awesome nurse, told me not to worry. I pumped every 2-3 hours getting more and more each time and it killed me to watch her pour the colostrum down the sink. That night in the ICU was the longest night ever. It was so hard to sleep. My blood pressure cuff was going off every hour. I had IVs in both of my hands so it was hard to move around without pulling on something. I had a catheter in still. Oh and I had just had a baby too.

A few of my friends from MOPS had came to pray for me while I was in the ICU. I didn't see them but Conrad, my mom and Kathy did. I think they came while Austin was up with me. Funny story about Austin leaving the maternity floor. Babies have the little security tag so no one can take them out of the area right? Well in order for him to come up they set a timer and he has to be back to the nursery within x amount of time. Well I guess they took to long getting him back and there was a Code Pink, which we heard but had no idea what that was. I guess that they saw security running to find him but he was returned in time.

Friday morning I had an ultrasound done of my legs to make sure there weren't any clots. I was still pumping and dumping. Dr S had came in and said that my EKG and CT scans came back clear. I was still being monitored in the ICU. My nurse during day called down to the nursery to see if they could bring Austin up for me to see again. A little while later 2 nurses brought him up for about an hour of snuggle time. We said something to the nurse about the Code Pink the night before and she said it's hard to bring a baby up here because they get stopped because everyone wants to stop and see the sweet little baby. Conrad went back down with Austin and the nurses and got to feed him again while I took a nap.

My nurse said something to me about possibly being able to be transfered back down to postpartum so I could be with him since all my vitals and everything was coming back just fine. They said by noon I'd most likely be back down there. Oh I was one happy momma!! The CNA came in and helped us get everything packed up and brought me a wheel chair and then ... my nurse came in with some bad news. The hospitalist was worried and didn't think it was good idea for me to go down there because I wasn't going to be monitored as closely as I was up here. All the nurses told me that from what they've seen in me, my vitals and lab work (oh I had so much blood drawn while at the hospital it was ridic!) they think that they feel more than okay with me going down there. They told me that they wouldn't just say that if they didn't believe it. They really thought that I needed to be with my baby, which I did and I needed to tell Dr S that I felt good and needed to be down with my son. They told Dr S that he had to come down and tell me in person that he didn't want to transfer me that they weren't going to tell me. What awesome nurses!! I seriously love them!! I still hadn't walked yet so they said if I felt up to it I could do a few laps around the floor and they would be monitoring me and would show the doctor how well I was doing. We walked a few laps and I could see the people in their rooms. Oh man the ICU is not a happy place, I really didn't belong there. We went back into my room and waited. More waiting. We finally heard the DR talking with one of the nurses. He came into my room and I was ready to cry, beg and plead for him to let me go down there with Austin. Thankfully he said things were looking good and that he would transfer me!! The nurses really did a good job convincing him that I was doing better. They said they told the nurses down there to call them if they had any questions or concerns.

I was around 3 or 4 that I was finally moving down to postpartum into a private room too, YES!! We passed by the nursery and the nurses saw us and brought Austin right into me. What a relief it was to have him in my arms and I was able to hold him as long as I wanted. At 6 p.m. I was able to nurse him for the first time and he did pretty well considering he had been fed from a bottle for the last 24 hours. Conrad left the hospital around 11:30-12 that night. I was pretty much told that Austin was going to be in nursery and they would bring him in every 2-3 hours for me to feed him that I needed my rest.

That's all for now. I'm going to post this and I'll hopefully write the rest soon.


  1. So glad that everything is ok and you are doing better now

  2. I didn't know what was going on, but I spent a lot of time praying. Before I even knew I should be praying for you, I felt a stirring in my heart to pray. I am SO GLAD you and Austin are ok and doing well.


I enjoy getting comments and making new connections. Make sure your email is linked to your profile so we can connect!